Thursday, October 2, 2008

Words, Words, (shrug) Words

Yesterday I realized that although my short story for my class is due next Tuesday, I have to email it a week in advance. Oh, no! ... So, I called Caleb, the co-teacher for my AWANAs Trek class and asked him if he would teach. "I'm so sorry - it'll never happen again." Of course, he didn't mind; he's going to school to be an art teacher. I'm going to school to become a writer. So, it worked out.

However, with the loud television shows and writer's block, things were not looking up for me. I was staring at the Word document, and let me tell you, I had nothing! Finally, I X'ed out of that story and went looking thorough My Documents for some shred of remaining hope: a story I could finish in one day.

I knew my chances were slim. You see, about two years ago we bought a Vista. More than 2,000 dollars. Of my student loan. Do you see the mistake, here? My old computer won't start anymore, though, so I couldn't get the stories I had saved on it. I could only lean on my Vista.
But, lo and behold, I found it! A lively little stories told completely in a chat room - a little too random, but I straightened it up in time to watch a couple episodes of Maison Ikkoku before I went to bed.

Something is bothering me about the story, however. The way it ends leaves the reader to decide the right course of action for each character. But, I'm afraid the reader will interpret it as both points of view are correct in their own right. That's not what I mean at all!

What I want to show is that both characters are wrong and they'll need to take responsibility for their actions. You see, one is a teenage girl who is constantly bullied because she has cleft palette. Her parents are strict and don't believe in surgery; they believe God made her the way she is and she doesn't deserve the right to "fix" her condition because is would an affront to God.

By the way, here are a few websites for Cleft Palette organizations:
http://www.ameriface.org/
http://www.smiletrain.org/site/PageServer
http://www.operationsmile.org/

The other character is another teenage girl who lives almost inside a theme park. Unlike the first girl, she's very high-maintenance, ADD, OCD, and rough and tumble. She was born to teenage parents who tried to raise her, but due to emotional problems caused by both she and her parents, they were forced to leave her int he care of her grandparents.
I still feel a little guilty about how she talks. Because of her tough attitude and poor background, she uses foul language. Not as much as real people with her personality, because I cut it down, but there are vulgar words in my manuscript.

How does a Christian writer deal with that? It can't be denied that that's the way it in this world. The world is sinful and people use profanity. And to try to act like they don't, by not presenting the world the way it really is, causes Christian work to appear idealized. Non-believers would accuse us of being selfish if we acted like everybody says "what the hey" instead "Hell." But, the scriptures say "Do not cause anyone to stumble..." 1 Corinthians 10:32

Leading by example or leading by denouncing sin? Showing the world what is wrong and then showing them a better way. Perhaps this is how Christians should approach this issue. But, you should decide for yourself.

No comments: