Sunday, September 28, 2008

A-Editing We will Go, A-Editing We willl Go... !

Thursday in my Writing Seminar class Julia Knispel, an accomplished writer, came to speak to us writing students. She talked about marketing ourselves as writers, getting our name out by way of blogs, and networking (finding mentors and keeping in touch with our writing peers.) This blog is my pursuit to take advantage of her advice. I'd like to take a moment to say I appreciate the advice she shared.

There's another way I'm preparing for my planned profession. My professor, Deborah Miller Fox, added while Mrs. Knispel was there that many people who knew she was a published writer would come, asking her to read their papers and stories. I supposed that's the bane of being a professional. She tells them, "Come see me in April or May," when she's not teaching, and how much she'll charge. "That either stops the conversation right there, or, if they're serious, they'll come back at a better time."


"There are three infallible ways of pleasing an author, and the threeform a rising scale of compliment: 1--to tell him you have read oneof his books; 2--to tell him you have read all of his books;3--to ask him to let you read the manuscript of his forthcoming book.No. 1 admits you to his respect; No. 2 admits you to his admiration;No. 3 carries you clear into his heart.
-Pudd'nhead Wilson's Calendar
Charging by page is the best policy to have, she told us, because that way if they're wanting you to review a 27-page paper, you'll get each page's worth. And so, I decided to do it! I'm opening an editing service. The problem is, I don't know how much to charge a page.
I thought 10 cents per page wasn't too bad. I won't be making much; even it they give me a 27-page paper, that would only be 2.70 dollars.

I mentioned my intent to my Sunday School class this morning. Many of them are out of college, or didn't go at all. Still, it doesn't hurt to mention, just in case they need to write a report for work or a letter asking for something they need. One, a young woman who just joined our church with her husband, mentioned she was trying to write a book. She didn't say what sort of book it was, and I'm little disappointed about that. I'll have to ask her tonight. She a teacher. I'm really hoping she lets me edit for her - I get exited thinking I could have a hand in helping someone else write.

I love writing. Lately, I've noticed that my stories have been about writing or storytelling. They explore why we write, how to write... I'm writing about writing - it's kind of funny. ^-^


Is it professional to use emoticons in a blog? S:/


I plan to go to the middle school and high school classes tonight and offer my services. I'm going to tell them straight out that I'm not going to write their papers for them. My sisters have pulled that on me too much. They must be crazy if they think I'm doing their work for them. No, mine is only an editing service.

The problem with going to that age group, even though they have many papers and reports due for school, they don't have the money to pay me. So, I'm struggling with whether I should do charity work for my younger peers when I have gobs of homework myself. (Including a market analysis for my Writing Seminar class due Tuesday.)

I'm the Trek leader for my church's AWANA's program. One of my students whom I like very much hasn't been coming to class. It breaks my heart. I see him at the libaray occaisionally. He once asked me to help him with his homework. "I'd be happy to." But then he didn't come back. My editing service reminded me of that. Sorry. Tangent.

To conclude, (you're very kind to have read so far) I can feel the whirwind of excitement swirling up in me. Feeling this way, it makes me confident that editing and writing is what I want to do for the rest of my life. And so, a-editing I will go!

No comments: