Thursday, January 22, 2009

A dedication to a piece...

My writing professor sent out an email about a creative writing contest coming in March. I haven't been ablet to think much about writing now that I'm in two - count 'em - two! literature classes, with a grand total of 12 novels to read this semester. To give you an example of what's expected of me in these classes: I have to read eighty pages of Tess of the D'Urbervilles, and at least 30 of Saving Grace by Lee Smith today. We'll begin discussing Tess on Monday next week and S.G. on Tuesday.

I'm at my wit's end with Tess. I'm enjoying the story, but not all the reading. Although right now I'm rather ticked off at Angel.

I want to make this post a vow that I will finish my latest story "Itching Ears" by the March deadline:
I, Emily J. Lawrence, do solemnly swear to become a superhuman writer and finish my short story, "Itching Ears," to submit it in the contest while at the same time not faulting in the reading assignments of my two literature classes.

Wish me luck, wish me brains, wish me comforting chemicals (all the root beer I can drink.)

1 comment:

Jennifer Taylor said...

I remember reading both of those books. Don't push yourself too hard. College can be hard enough on its own.

Many blessings,